24 February 2007

First Saturday of Lent

I can tell weekends are going to be hard in their own way. This morning we woke up and had to fight off the temptation to go out for breakfast. We fought hard though, and we won. And how could we not, with 2 1/2 dozen local eggs in our refrigerator pulling for us.

For breakfast at HOME I made French Toast using about 1/3 of a loaf of French Bread that one of my fellow students had made yesterday in class. I also made us some scrambled eggs and a side-dish of sauteed garlic, onions and chard. Washed it all down with a half bottle of sparkling cider. So, once again, breakfast was totally local except the bread, which was again "homemade," but with flour from away. (Okay, truth be told, I don't know the origin of either the garlic or the onion.)

The rest of the day I totally struck out. We went out for a late lunch/early supper to one of my favorite waterfront dives, The Barking Crab in South Boston. That was an indulgent treat for my Birthday, which is tomorrow. Oyster Stew, Fish and Chips, and a locally brewed Harpoon IPA. Once again, the thing about eating out is that I don't KNOW where my food is from. It COULD have been local...I mean, I didn't have Alaskan salmon or anything with tropical mango chutney or anything crazy like that.

And I'm about to have a little Dunkin Donuts coffee, my first of the Lenten Season. And that about does it for Day Four.

No comments: