21 February 2007

Day One

Well, Day One of my Lenten Project has very nearly come to an end, and with not much to show for it in some ways, but a lot in others. I didn't do very well in terms of actually eating local foods on this first day of Lent, but I also didn't expect to, considering my aforementioned impulsivity in beginning this experiment without having prepared or planned ahead at all. I did, however, learn quite a bit - so, progress was most assuredly made.

Here's where I'm at...(yes, I know that's bad grammar, but that's what we say back home)...

Today's Eats

Organic Assam Tea - not from around here
Multigrain sourdough bread from Trader Joe's - baked locally, but who knows from whence the ingredients came...probably very far away (It's remarkable how little we know about the origins of the ingredients in most of the foods we eat! I mean, just THINK about it!)
A three-egg omelet - eggs from within 10 miles of my house, local butter, local cream
Stonyfield yogurt (local), with maple syrup (local) and a pear (most likely not)

For dinner I ate out on my way to my santitation exam. I had a grilled vegetable burrito with black beans and rice and salsa. All good and healthy and fresh, but not local. No way. Which just goes to show a couple things: first, that eating out and eating local (especially in the winter) are going to be fairly incompatible; and second, that planning ahead for trips out of the house is going to be essential.

Here's the good news...

Today I identified sources for cornmeal (Rhode Island), buckwheat flour (Maine), whole wheat flour (Maine), rolled oats and oat groats (Maine), and dried beans (Maine). I may have also found a source for barley (Vermont), which I'd like to try to roast and use as a coffee substitute. And I found a farm within 30 miles of my house that is open year round and grows fruits, vegetables and herbs in greenhouses and hoophouses. I may try to check it out tomorrow. I'll also mailorder my grains and beans. I should be able to eat much more locally within the next couple of weeks.

And the other good news? I'm ending my day with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon produced within my area code. Ahhhh. Life is good.

No comments: