22 February 2007

Day Two and The First Foraging Report

Hi Ho.

Day Two of Lent and a much more successful day for the Lenten Locavore!

For Breakfast I ate a completely local meal with the exception of my green tea. Well, okay, there were a couple of other exceptions, too. Here's the meal:

A glass of Sparkling Apple Cider from Harvard, MA
A wedge of smoked gouda from Winchendon, MA
A slice of homemade anadama bread*
Cabot butter from New England
Red Rubies - 3 fruit spread from MA
Stonyfield yogurt**, plain with maple syrup from NH

*who knows where the bread ingredients are from
**I just learned, sadly, that Stonyfield milk comes from both New England AND the Midwest


For mid-day eats, I was completely at the mercy of my cooking school and our recipes for the day.

For dinner, I had another completely local meal:

Organic mesclun mix from Natick, MA
Raw Fermented Ginger Carrots from RealPickles in Montague, MA (carrots from Westminister, VT)
Goat Cheese from Hubbardston, MA
Cabernet Sauvignon from Lincoln, MA

The Ginger Carrots and Goat Cheese were so flavorful that I didn't even need to use any additional dressing on my salad! I'm a pretty happy camper.

After I got home from cooking school, I was very tired, as is usual. But I stuck by my commitment to myself to go foraging for local produce. After a round trip of 36 miles, which involved two stores, and a total expenditure of $95.21, I arrived home with 4 bags of goods. Here it is...The First Foraging Report:

Fresh Produce

organic mesclun mix (MA)
organic chard (MA)
parsnips (MA)
rutabega (presumed local)
Boston lettuce, hydroponically grown (RI)

Processed or Preserved Produce

Apple Cider (MA)
Pear Halves, jarred (MA)
Pickled Beets (MA)*
Pickled Asparagus (MA)*
Dilled Green Beans (MA)*
Sauerkraut (MA)**
Dill Pickles (MA)**
Ginger Carrots (MA)**
Applesauce (MA)

*preserved with vinegar
**raw fermented, preserved in a salt brine


Dairy

Milk (MA)
Butter (ME)
Water Buffalo Yogurt (VT)
Goat Cheese (MA)

Other

Smoked Mackeral (ME)


Most of the sources for the above products have websites and when I have more time, I'll probably list them in the sidebar as a resource for other New England Locavores.

But now I've got to go clean the kitchen and get to bed!

No comments: